Drewfasa's Blog

A diary of my life and thoughts.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Star struck

Had 3 highlights already this morning. Woke up at 8:50 and called the clinic and arranged 9:50am appointment. Doctor said that since I experienced withdrawal symptoms I should go back onto 10mg a day for 2-4 weeks and then go down to one 10mg tablet every second day for a month or two before stopping altogether. So I'm sorry to say there may not be any interesting accounts of bizzarre withdrawal symptoms on my blog, but let's see first what tonight brings.
As for the highlights, when I came home I found that I had received two emails. As I suspected, my nice friend Hannah Price did indeed visit my weblog and posted a nice comment, so did my dad, which pleased me immensely although it did not surprise me as he is so nice. Those are Monday morning highlights 1 and 2, highlight number three relates to the picture below which is of Tariq Ali. He is a political writer whom I admire very much and an editor of New Left Review. I sent him an email on the 20th of January and today received a reply. It was quite enjoyable to receive an email from someone who is famous, and only the second time it has happenned. The first time was went I sent an email to Labour MP for Rotherham Dennis MacShane regarding an article he had written in the Independant and I was scathing of his hypocrisy regarding this and that and he was kind enough to reply politely.

Anyways, my correspondence with Tariq Ali went like so:
January 20th, 2006

Dear Mr. Ali,

I enjoy your writing and have learnt a lot from it. I was wondering if you could suggest a book on the history of the formation of Israel, as it seems like it would be a controversial topic about which a lot of rubbish would be written.
Sincerely yours,
Andrew Johnston


And today, I received the reply:

Norman Finkelstein's 'Image and Reality' would be a good start......


And that's it. I shall be visiting the Library at the soonest possible oppurtunity in order to follow his suggestion. It's funny how enjoyable it can be to receive a sentence fragment from someone who is a hero of yours and is also somewhat famous.

Once again today I am enjoying Neil Young's After the Goldrush. I have been told that Bruce Springsteen is also well worth a listen and will be checking out some of his stuff later today as I continue my musical odyssey.

Ooh, one more thing. I today received in the mail a book I had ordered of Amazon market place by Freud entitled The Psychopathology of Everyday Life and it seemed quite fitting in light of my recent mental state.

-dj

3 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

Drew, I am a blog junkie and you have given me more to feed on; cool to see what's up.
(I have my own; guess I better update it).
Just wanted you to know, too, that I am proud of your efforts to halt (Celexia?)
Dest went off Paxil last year and it was rough but oh so much better on the other side.
Wisht we could chill out and try to parallel park again...

3:57 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I like how I am getting a lot of airtime on your blog Drew, sweet! I was going to suggest to you that you read the Freud book you received in the mail today..but you beat me to it! I spent all morning in my "theories of personality" class studying Freud. A genius in his time indeed, and you are right; extremely misunderstood. I read the other day about how he was his mother's favourite child, and he knew it, and so all through his life he had a feeling of conquest as a result of it, which enabled him to be more successful because he was more confident. Check out this website https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/ There are some experiments/demonstrations that you can do to reveal your subconsciousness, based upon Freud's therapies. We did them in class this morning!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

PS- Can you please post some pictures of you and Beth up on this blog?

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home