Drewfasa's Blog

A diary of my life and thoughts.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Drewfasa's STUPID HUMAN(!) awards for January/February 2006

Over the past month or so, if you've followed the news, you have likely been amazed by the circus of human stupidity on display. Let us take a minute to reflect so that me might learn from nature's mistakes. It is with great horror and shame that I present the first ever STUPID HUMAN(!) AWARDS...with 2 awards up for grabs this evening, and possibly more to come (I wish in vain that there won't be).

The STUPID HUMAN(!) prize for idiocy as a group goes to everyone who resorted to violence over the publishing of the following 12 cartoons in a small Danish news-rag:







You may not have seen these 'forbidden' cartoons before, I was very surprised at how innocuous they were. I'm aware that images of the prophet are forbidden in Islam, but I think the reaction was a wee bit over-the-top. In the country where I live (the UK), the publishing of these stupid, reactionary, fascist cartoons led to this:



Pretty, no? The nice chap in the first picture, who is apparently in fancy-dress as a suicide bomber, later turned out to be a crack dealer out on probation. A very devout Muslim I'm sure.

In the Islamic world, the publishing of these stupid cartoons led to this (and much, much more):


Words seem to fall short. Perhaps these people need hobbies, like collecting stamps or birdwatching, or even what is called 'peaceful protesting'. I can even admit that I understand (although I might not necessarily agree with) the motivations behind violent protests over certain, even many, issues. However, the individuals involved in these protests seem to have no sense of proportion, or concern for the lives of their fellow protesters (apparently a few of them ended up dying in the fires they started). For that reason, anyone involved in violent protests over the Mohammed cartoons wins the Drewfasa STUPID HUMAN(!) award. Jyllands-Posten (the Danish rag/newspaper which originally published the cartoons), deserves honourable (ie. stupid) mention for publishing these cartoons with the sole intent of provoking outrage and for giving so many people a headache.

The Drewfasa STUPID HUMAN(!) award for a stupid action by a holder of public office goes to Dick Cheney (seen here holding his fire-stick).



As you have probably heard, on Saturday evening Dick Cheney accidentally shot a 78 year old guy called Harry Whittington while he was out Quail hunting. I think Maureen Dowd of the New York Times put it best:

"With American soldiers dying in Iraq, Five-Deferment Dick 'I Had Other Priorities in the 60s Than Military Service' Cheney gets his macho kicks gunning down little birds and the occasional old man while W rides his bike, blissfully oblivious to any collateral damage...Shouldn't these guys work on weekends until we figure out how to fix Iraq, New Orleans, Medicare and gas prices?"

On top of Cheney's problematic itchy trigger finger is the fact that he is under investigation right now for other shenanigans (leaking the identity of a CIA operative to get back at them for dissing the Iraq war).
What a loser.

And just when you think it couldn't get any worse for poor ol' Dick, it was revealed that the old codger he shot suffered a heart attack as a result of the incident. I would feel sorry for the guy, if it wasn't Dick Cheney.


2 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

interesting, Drew... I hadn't seen all of the pictures from the UK... specifically the female with the holocaust sign. Creepy.

even more interesting:
apparantly the Qur'an doesn't actually forbid depictions of the prophet - this "rule" has been tagged on to Islam by (zealous?) followers.

p.s. are you cool with having these cartoons on your blog? Silly or no, people have really allowed these things to piss them off.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Drewfasa said...

I don't think there is any risk of Muslims reading my blog. And they can just as easily see them on Wikipedia if they are trying to piss themselves off.

I only put the cartoons up so my friends could see them. Especially in the UK, where everyone is hearing about them, and asked for their opinion, but have never seen them. (I also hate ideological censorship).

Thank you for your concern though. I did spend some time in consideration before deciding to put them up. After all, the London bombers lived within a stone's throw from my apartment.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home