Drewfasa's Blog

A diary of my life and thoughts.

Friday, February 17, 2006

For a free humanity. For Anarchy.


As of today I am doing a project to look at the Anarchist movement of Catalonia during the Spanish civil war. I have read about it in Noam Chomsky's collection of essays On Anarchism and it sounds like it was awesome. George Orwell wrote a book about it called Homage to Catalonia. Orwell fought among the Anarchists against General Franco and the fascists, and in the process was shot in the throat by a sniper. I bought Homage ages ago, and I was able to arouse my tutor's curiosity about the issue in my Nationalism module today at University. I persuaded him to let me do a presentation on the Anarchist movement as long as I tied it in with the Nationalist movement. Needless to say I am very interested in Anarchism and Anarchist writers like Chomsky, Emma Goldman, and Alexander Berkman. I was thinking last night as I lay in bed about starting an Anarchist society at University next year, but I'm worried that only idiots will join. However, it is something I really want to do, so I'll have to see what possibilities may exist. I have taken a cursory glance at this Anarchist website and it seems to be a good introduction for anyone who is interested, or (more likely) just bored: www.anarchism.net

I'll let you know if, through my research into Anarchism, or just through everyday life, I become disillusioned and espouse myself to right-wing neo-liberalism (unlikely while I am a poor student, but becoming increasingly more likely if I ever rise above the poverty line and become a rich bastard who forgets the poor and oppressed). Until then, I remain Andrew Johnston - For a free humanity. For Anarchy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew I think sometimes you take crazy pills. But then if you weren't twice as crazy as most you wouldn't be half as funny as all of us are used to.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home