Drewfasa's Blog

A diary of my life and thoughts.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Disappointing

Today in my Social Research class my lecturer reminded all the students that there would be no classes tomorrow as the teachers are striking. He explained that the strike is just for one day, and that classes will resume again on Wednesday. He also explained that after Tuesday, the lecturers will still do their work and even mark assignments, but they just won't be giving results back to University administration.

To my amazement (actually, I wasn't amazed at all - my coursemates are dum-dums), the students let out all sorts of groanings, wailings, and gnashing of teeth. John, the lecturer, explained why they were going on strike (because they make less money than even bus drivers, but need a PhD to teach), and how that would affect the students. The room instantly became hostile. I couldn't believe how selfish everyone became (the students that is).

Quite frankly, I was amazed at how much the lecturers were looking after our interests at their own expense. They continue to do all the work, except on strike pay! It was unbelievable. "How will we know our marks?!" shouted someone. "How will we know if we passed?!" etc. etc. As if not knowing your marks for a couple months changes the outcome!

Needless to say, everyone reacted in an incredibly un-radical, self-centred way. Basically, like a bunch of good little individually consuming capitalist children. I can't help but feel sorry for these lecturers: I have noticed many times how worn out their shoes are; many of them have tatty trousers - seriously! - who is so poor they have to wear tatty trousers!?! Not any of us students, that's for sure. Their clothes are all super old looking, I mean seriously, these guys look poor. And some of them have more than 10 years of post-secondary education!! Would somebody please give them a few extra pounds so they can at least put some leather patches on the elbows of their tweed jackets?! Yes: they actually wear old tweed jackets - poooooooooooooooor!

Anyways, people should try to be less selfish when others are striking. After all, if it wasn't for people striking our parents and ourselves would all be working 14 hours a day and living in shanties - kind of like the other half of the world.

Here's some worker's movement propaganda from the days of the IWW (Industrial Workers of the World).

-TTFN



3 Comments:

Blogger Smash said...

Here are some thoughts regarding the last week or so of your blogging activity:
-Beth is definitely the funniest person (in that best kind of way which you described) that I know, also. I am very glad of her generosity of allowing those around her to laugh, as this is a great gift to the world.
-Anarchism is better than capitalism and democracy, but as you point out, this is really just because love is better than selfishness. Concluding that this is true does not actually bring us closer to the goal of love...
- one problem with all this subversive fun, particularly Tolstoy and whatshisname, is that it ignores the command to "render what to ceasar what is ceasar's." What do you make of Jesus' teachings regarding the respect he demanded for political authorities- certainly the colonial Roman government earned this kind treatment no more than our politicians today... Certainly this has been a great consideration of Christians throughout history, who have stuck with legal/constitutional means of agitating for change- often abandoning all political avenues in favour of (arguably) less subversive social means...

Well, that's quite enough for now, I imagine. Love to you and to your little lady. I tried to add her to skype, but I couldn't find her. If she actually uses that thing, tell her to take a look for me, okay?
many thanks.
Ash

1:01 AM  
Blogger Drewfasa said...

I'm afraid I don't totally agree with you Smash. However, we all have to follow our own consciensces.

Today's loyalists are tomorrow traitors; today's laws are tomorrows abominations; today's rulers are tomorrow's villains.

I would advise to follow laws unless your conscience tells you otherwise. I certainly have not broken any laws, nor do I plan to in the near future. However, I cannot judge people who, when oppressed to the limit of survival, rise up and smash those who are oppressing them. In fact, I would cheer for them.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Drewfasa said...

I'm afraid I also don't believe in the divine right of kings. Another note: Jesus never told the Zealots (ie. rebels) among his disciples to stop being Zealots. The fact is, politically, might makes right. Every new government in history has usurped the power of the last one. Do we then follow the new one, or the old one?

I would not so hastily apply Jesus' single conversation with Peter to a command to Christian's to be the conservative/reactionary guardians of the status-quo.

No concession in history has ever been given, they have always been taken.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home