Drewfasa's Blog

A diary of my life and thoughts.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Happy Saturday to you

Here's what I did today:

I woke up and studied until about 1:30 and then got ready and went out. It snowed yesterday so there was about an inch and a half of snow on the ground which is quite unusual for Leeds but reminded me of Calgary. I took the bus into Headingley, which is the student neighbourhood on the opposite side of Leeds from me. I had a footlong sub for lunch, mmmm! Then, I went to my lecturer's house to get some books from him for a project I'm doing.

This is all quite boring, sorry.

Anyways, tonight I read a section in this book I have called The Essential Writings of Anarchism, the section I read was written by Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910 - pictured below - wrote the book War and Peace) and was under the heading of 'Christian Anarchism'.



Tolstoy basically says that Christians shouldn't submit to military service or swear allegiance or pay taxes to a state that is violent and murderous. Mahatma Gandhi was heavily influenced by Tolstoy's writing. It's quite a moving tract. Apparently Tolstoy has written a few books on such issues. Another similar character was Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862 - below), who wrote against the institution of slavery and refused to pay taxes to the US government that supported it.


Ciao!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyle Turner said...

you know Drew, just to be the antagonist here, the bible says to do just what that War and PEace guy said not to do. Submit yourself and pay taxes to the gouvernment. I take that as being true whether their are corrupt and murderous or not, because really, what gouvernment isn't?

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home