Drewfasa's Blog

A diary of my life and thoughts.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Update

Hi. Thought I might as well update the ol' blog, these things don't look after themselves now, do they? Well, let's see...on Wednesday morning when I woke up I was greeted with the news that Apple has just discontinued my laptop and replaced it with one about 10 times better. D'oh!!! I put mine back in its box and went to the store where I bought it: "I would like a refund please." Long story short they told me to get out before they released the hounds. Now I know that computers are known for becoming so quickly obsolete, but dang man! I have my new shiny machine for nine days and then suddenly 'BAM', Apple turfs it and I'm back to being the caveman I was 10 days ago. I feel like Charlie Brown, "good grief".

Oh well, I'm back to enjoying my shiny obsolete laptop and Apple can just take their new stuff and sell it to someone else. After the episode at Apple I met up with Ben and we once again had a couple beers and smoked cuban cigars. You may be thinking I am a bit samey, but I invite you to come to Leeds and find a better way to distract yourself (an interesting side note, I read recently in the Guardian that individuals who study in Leeds are more likely than anyone else in the UK to become 'goths'). Anyhoo, I went home, had a kip (ie. nap) on the couch, and was off again with my friend Tom to see this comedian called Dylan Moran. We had some pasta and then went to the Leeds City Varieties, which is where said comedian was doing his bit. He was an Irish guy and he spoke in a way that reminded me of Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons. He was actually quite funny, which is rare among comedians, at least the ones I've seen. Apparently Dylan Moran is quite famous and was in the movie Shaun of the Dead, if that movie even made it over the pond to N. America.

I've also been trying to find a job, however Leeds basically consists of call centres and fast food kiosks so finding something new is proving tricky. The task has been made all the more difficult by the wave of depression that has rolled in these past few weeks. May is always a hard month for me (I have no idea why) and as I have cut the dose of my prescription by over two-thirds since last May, I have not been suprised at the "black dog's" sudden appearance or its decision to stay and hang out for a while. "Good boy, sit...stay."

Fortunately I have a wonderful wife and enjoy a life of relative comfort and affluence compared to the majority of the planet's residents, or so I have been told. I play tennis, read, and have discovered an internet jazz station that is pretty good, besides playing the occasional song that is completely insane (in the song which just played a guy shouted "Pyramids!! Pyramids!!" While his band tried in vain to tune their instruments or empty their spit-valves or something). One thing that I do (I imagine most people with less-than-optimal mental health do this as well) is think about other historical figures who were/are depressed. "Hemingway was depressed! Maybe that's why he was so cool!" (although I am patently not Hemingway, and he killed himself - hmmm...someone more encouraging perhaps.)

Well, on that melancholy note, adios! Don't worry though, I'm in good hands.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Drew,

I could see you as Hemingway - lounging in Spain, beer in hand, watching the running of the bulls. Yeah, you could pull it off. But if suicide's not really your cup o' tea, then perhaps me and my co-workers can come over and "manage" something for you. We're not just limited to vegetation you know.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Candice said...

Sorry, I sure don't know who Hemingway is (I'm very uneducated in these things), but I do know that you're in good hands: definitely God's, and I'm sure He works lots through Beth. I'll be praying for a job...

4:56 AM  
Blogger Smash said...

drew,
I miss you and Beth.
when are you maybe going to move here again?
maybe you should just come over here right after Beth is done school instead of waiting for silly August.
(i just thought i'd try to use your melancholy mood for my own selfish ends.)
really. I love you both a lot.
Ashley.

9:38 AM  
Blogger danielle said...

Drew - Shaun of the Dead did indeed make it over the pond. You're right; funny guy, which = funny flick. If Martin didn't dislike zombie movies so much, I'd go and rent it again.

Thinking about your feelings and feeling like I understand... Was in a state myself until recently...
Indeed, between Beth and Martin, we couldn't be in better therapy...

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home